Eugene Berkeley Baker was born in Massachusetts and, like his father, studied architecture, first at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. After spending 1908 through 1912 at MIT, and not obtaining his degree, Baker successfully transferred to the University of Pennsylvania and received his B. S. in Architecture in 1914. During and immediately following his university career, Baker received a number of honors, including eight medals gleaned during the years 1912 to 1914 in Beaux-Arts competitions, an honorable mention in the Paris Prize competition of 1914, and the John Stewardson Memorial Scholarship in 1915.
Baker's first appearance in the Philadelphia city directories is in 1918, when he is listed as an architect, but with no office address noted. By 1920 Baker had joined E. Nelson Edwards in the partnership of Edwards & Baker; however, this firm is listed in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide but never acknowledged in the city directories. Edwards & Baker nonetheless continued in operation through 1922, Baker's final listing in the Philadelphia city directories, and the only listing where Baker appears with the firm's office address, 1012 Walnut Street.
Baker was a member of the T-Square Club.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- University of Pennsylvania
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.