Louis Carter Baker, Jr.
and Elijah James Dallett
met while working for Furness, Evans & Co.
. They withdrew from the firm and organized their own partnership in December, 1888; and their firm would endure until the partners separated at the end of June, 1912. By December, 1912 the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide
could report that Baker had moved his office to the Middle City Building at 34 South 17th Street. That same article in the PRERBG
indicates that Dallett had retired. In fact, he had not retired but instead had established an office in Wilmington, DE, in the Equitable Building, cementing the ties to Wilmington that had already been apparent in work completed by the partnership. The work of Baker & Dallett had frequently extended into Delaware, no doubt encouraged by Dallett's Wilmington-born wife; but they were also active in small Pennsylvania towns and constructed a diverse range of building types: hospitals, churches, industrial buildings, and residences.
As Illustrated Philadelphia reported, "Their aim is to secure to the owner the best results within the limits of estimates, and their close adherence to specifications and careful supervisions of builders point them out as sound, conservative business men, as well as architects of the highest attainments."