Biography

ARCHITECT
Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects Images printer-friendly version  
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS
 

[Old Cherry Street]
AIA/T-Square Yearbook, p. 159 (1923)

Born: 9/24/1897, Died: 6/3/1988

The son of Thomas and Elinor (Craig) Janney, J. Craig Janney was born in Philadelphia. He graduated in 1915 from Germantown Friends School and received his B.S. in Architecture in 1919 from the University of Pennsylvania, followed by his M.S. from that institution in 1920. He also studied drawing at the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art from 1922 to 1927, while commencing a period of office experience which would take him to many of the best-known firms of Philadelphia: Bissell & Sinkler, 1919 to 1921; Day & Klauder, 1921-1924; Stewardson & Page, 1924 (one month); Paul Monaghan, December, 1924 to March, 1925; Davis, Dunlap & Barney, December 1925; Thomas, Martin & Kirkpatrick, March, 1925 to October, 1926; Simon & Simon, October, 1926 to October, 1927; Thomas, Martin & Kirkpatrick, October, 1927 to January, 1928; Ralph Bencker, 1939 to 1943; Paul P. Cret, 1943 to 1944; and back to Bencker for 1944 to 1949. In the 1930s Janney concentrated on the design of public housing, establishing an office with Elizabeth Fleisher under the name Fleisher, Janney & Davis.

Janney won the Cope Prize in 1921 and was a member of the T-Square Club, the AIA, and the Philadelphia Art Alliance. He was extremely active in the T-Square Club, serving as secretary (1921/22), vice-president (1922-1924), and president (1924/25).

In addition to his activities in the profession, Janney was engaged with forestry, farming, and conservation. He held a license as a nurseryman and was one of the founding members of the Brandywine Valley Conservation Association. Janney was an avid amateur actor and singer, and was a member of the Savoy Opera Company in the 1920s, performing Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, as did many of his fellow Rose Valley residents in the period. Among these were architect William Webb Price. He left Rose Valley in 1936, and lived in West Bradford Township, Chester County until his death.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman, and Emily T. Cooperman.

Clubs and Membership Organizations

  • Philadelphia Art Alliance
  • American Institute of Architects (AIA)
  • Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
  • T-Square Club

School Affiliations

  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.