Born in Philadelphia, Charles W. Pollitt received his early education at Girard College and his architectural education at the University of Pennsylvania, which he entered in 1919, receiving his Certificate of Proficiency in Architecture in 1921. According to his AIA application, he was employed by Paul P. Cret in 1922 and then Mellor & Meigs/Mellor, Meigs & Howe from 1924 to 1941 and Wigham & VanAlen from 1941-43, before moving on to the Edward P. Simon firm (1943-45) which became Simon & Boulware in 1946. Following Simon's death in 1949, he continued with Lyle F. Boulware and finally established his own firm in 1961.
Pollitt applied for membership in the AIA in 1942 and served the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA as secretary from 1955 to 1956. He was elected Member Emeritus in 1966.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- Girard College
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.