Henry D. Mirick was born in Washington, D. C., where he spent his childhood. He earned his first undergraduate degree at Princeton University, completing a B. A. in 1927, before he entered the architecture program of the University of Pennsylvania. He completed a B.Arch. at Penn in 1930 and an M.Arch. in 1931. Mirick won the coveted Rome Prize to study at the American Academy his final year with a drawing entitled "An Officer's Club."
Mirick entered the office of Harry Sternfeld as a draftsman in 1933, remaining there until 1935. In 1937, he joined H. Martyn Kneedler and C. Clark Zantzinger, who had also been outstanding students at Penn, and who had formed a partnership in 1935, to establish Kneedler, Mirick & Zantzinger. Mirick joined the national AIA in 1938. During World War II, he served as a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army, and was stationed at the Pentagon. He retired from practice in the 1980s.
Mirick was among the leaders of the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA, serving as a director between 1959 and 1961, as vice president in 1963 and again in 1969, and finally as president in 1970. Mirick was also a member of the Lower Merion Township (Montgomery County, PA) Planning Commission between 1955 and 1969. He served as president of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society for three terms, and as a trustee of the National Academy of Sciences.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- American Academy in Rome
- Princeton University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.