Horace B. Custer received his Certificate of Proficiency in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1898, but as early as 1894 he had been listed as a draftsman in the Philadelphia city directories. He continued to practice as an architect through 1911, when, according to information found in the University of Pennsylvania Archives, he gave up independent practice due to ill health. He then became a member of the Architects Service Department of Johns-Manville Co., Inc., manufacturers of asbestos materials. In 1913 Custer is listed as a salesman in the Philadelphia city directories. By 1915 he and Walter M. Bickham are noted in the Philadelphia city directories as owners of the Puritan Sales Co., manufacturers agents; however, again according to information from the University of Pennsylvania Archives, Custer reported that he remained at Johns-Manville from 1914 through 1919 as a superintendent, and from 1920 to 1923, as works manager.
Custer was a member of the T-Square Club and the Cynwyd Club.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- T-Square Club
- Cynwyd Club
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.