Frank J. Duane was born in Philadelphia, the son of Patrick James Duane. He studied architecture at the Drexel Institute, the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art and in classes at the T-Square Club Atelier and at the University of Pennsylvania, where he completed a B. Arch. in 1927. Duane began his career as a draftsman in the office of F. F. Durang in 1921. He left that firm in 1929 as chief draftsman. He worked as a draftsman and designer in several Philadelphia offices in the early 1930s: Grant Simon, McIlvain & Roberts, and Paul P. Cret. In 1935, Duane joined the Technical Section of the Housing Division of the Public Works Administration in Washington, D. C. Duane remained in Washington and with this bureau (later the U. S. Housing Administration) until 1947, when he opened his own firm. By 1962, the firm had become Duane & Lawrence, with John W. Lawrence in Duane's son Franklin as additional partners. In 1966, the firm name became Duane & Duane, and then Duane, Duane & Cahill in 1968, with the partnership of John C. Cahill.
Duane joined the national AIA in 1943, and was an active member of the Washington-Metropolitan Chapter, serving as secretary in 1954-1955, treasurer in 1955-1956, vice president in 1956-1957, and finally as president in 1957-1958.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- T-Square Club
- Washington-Metropolitan Chapter AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- Drexel Institute
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.