Mahon H. Dickinson appears first in the Philadelphia city directories in 1891 as an architect and continues as such through 1929. His office address in 1899 is 453 City Hall, the office of the Public Buildings Commission, but for 1900 and 1901 he returns to the status of architect without an office address. By 1902 the directories indicate that he has established a partnership with C. S. Dickinson, presumably a relative, who had heretofore been listed in the city directories as an artist. This partnership dissolved, according to the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide, in August 1902 by mutual consent, when Mahlon H. Dickinson bought out the interest of his partner and continued at 1404 Real Estate Trust Building as architect and engineer. Dickinson moved his office several times during the ensuing years, but he continued to operate independently, except for one project attributed to a short-lived partnership with Charles H. Denny in 1911 (Denny & Dickinson).
Dickinson's independent practice was a general one, including a moving picture theater for Cornelius Christianson at 23rd and South streets (1912), a factory for Max Sargent at Kensington Avenue and G Street (1919), and a small operation of five houses for Fred J. Schafer at 36th and Aspen streets (1922).
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.