[Portraits of Frank Miles Day, Charles Z. Klauder, and Day & Klauder Office]
Frank Miles Day & Charles Z. Klauder
Day & Klauder Collection, Architectural Archives, University of Pennsylvania.
Local ID #: 069.237
> View more images [6 total]
Established after the retirement of H. Kent Day in 1912, this firm succeeded Day Bros. & Klauder. Charles Z. Klauder continued to use the firm name even after the death of Frank Miles Day in 1918, and did not discard it until 1927 when he returned to individual practice using only his own name. Although Klauder's individual taste may have preferred the Collegiate Gothic (see his Cathedral of Learning, University of Pittsburgh, 1930-37 and Day & Klauder's work at Princeton University), the office also produced a fine Georgian Revival which capitalized on the taste for the Colonial Revival in the 1920s and allowed universities and colleges to recall the colonial and federal beginnings of universities in North America. At the University of Delaware, for example, Day & Klauder added substantial red-brick-with-white-trim buildings to the mall complex as well as an Agriculture Building adjacent to the University's farm holdings.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.