H. Kent Day, brother of the well-known Philadelphia architect, Frank Miles Day and son of Charles Day and Anna (Miles) Day, graduated from the Rittenhouse Academy in 1866 and by 1872 was listed in the Philadelphia city directories as a bookeeper with an office at 20 Strawberry. From 1874-1876 he was employed by the auctioneers, Reese, Williams & Co., and by 1878 he and brother Richard H. Day established their own iron firm under the name Day Bros. This firm lasted at least through 1887, but in 1893 Day is listed in the city directories as an architect and in 1894 as a member of the firm Frank Miles Day & Bro. This association with his brother lasted until H. Kent Day retired in 1912.
Day was an associate member of the AlA and joined the T-Square Club in 1897. In 1900 he represented the Club at the 5th International Congress of Architects in Paris and in 1904 delivered a lecture to Club members on English memorial brasses.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.