Born in Philadelphia, Frank L. Petrillo gained his architectural education through the T Square Club, which he attended from 1922 to 1925, and Drexel Institute, where he won a Gold Medal in Architecture and served as class president. By 1923 he was already employed in Philadelphia by Philip H. Johnson, and he continued with a number of city-based architects, including Paul Monaghan (1924-1925), Horace Trumbauer (1925-1926), and John Molitor (1926). In 1926 he joined the Philadelphia City Architect's Office, where he worked with Walter Thomas and later John P. B. Sinkler.
By the 1930s there is evidence of his independent work, with citations for Our Lady of Loreto Church, plus several apartment house commissions. There is also evidence from published citations that Petrillo might have associated with <7>Richard R. Neely, Sr.7> on churches and apartment houses, Neely's specialty.
He was elected to membership in the AIA in 1944.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.