Raymond Wenger was born in Philadelphia, the son of Alice E. Cooke and Raymond A. Wenger (Sr.). He attended St. James Parochial School and West Philadelphia Catholic High School before enrolling at the University of Pennsylvania, where he earned a B. Arch. in 1951. He won the Warren Powers Laird Memorial Prize in the academic year 1948/1949 and the Bronze Medal in design in 1951. After graduation, Wenger worked for Grant Simon, Day & Zimmerman (1951-1953), Earl P. Allabach (1953), and then for Harold Wagoner (1953-1956) before joining the office of Fridtjof Tobiessen in 1956, the same year he joined the national AIA. In 1966, he was made a partner in Tobeissen-Wenger & Associates, and continued the practice after Tobiessen's death in 1975.
Wenger served in the U.S. Army infantry near the end of World War II, and was a founding member of the Upper Merion Planning Commission, on which he served between 1959 and 1961. He was an active alumnus of the University of Pennsylvania's School of Fine Arts, serving as president of the Alumni Association in 1969.
Wenger joined the AIA in 1956.
Sandra L. Tatman, and
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.