James L. Cherry was born in Singapore, and studied at Pennsylvania State College, earning a B. S. in Architectural Engineering in 1928. He began his career as a structural designer for the American Bridge Co., remaining with the firm from 1928 until 1930 when he joined the Acoustical Corporation of America as an architectural designer. In 1934, he was made a partner in the firm of H. A. Kuljian & Co., remaining there at least through 1972. At the time of his death he was a resident of Glenside, PA.
Cherry joined the national AIA in 1942 and was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter. He was also a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and of the Pennsylvania Society of Architects. He taught at Pennsylvania State College as an associate professor from 1936 to 1938.
Emily T. Cooperman, and
Rima M. Girnius.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Pennsylvania State University
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.