Prominent Scranton, PA architect George M. D. Lewis was born in Philadelphia, the son of William Phelps and Ann Jane Greenall Lewis. The family later lived in Scranton, where Lewis attended the city's Technical High School. Before graduating, Lewis worked in the office of F. L. Brown. Lewis went on to study architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, completing a B. S. Arch., followed by an M. S. Arch. in 1916. While at Penn, he won the Arthur Spayd Brooke gold prize and received an honorable mention in the Rome Prize competition. He enlisted in the U.S. Air Service in 1917, and became an aviation navigator under the command of Fiorella LaGuardia, flying bombers over the Alps from Italy into France. After the war, Lewis returned to Scranton, joined the office of Edward H. Davis, who had established an architectural practice in Scranton in 1891. Davis & Lewis continued until Davis's death in 1943. Lewis continued the firm under his own name until 1960, when Donaldson Berghauser was made a partner. The firm was discontinued in 1970.
Lewis joined the national AIA in 1922 and was among the first members of the Northeastern Pennsylvania Chapter, serving as secretary in 1926. He also served as a warden of the Church of the Epiphany in Glenburn, PA from 1925 until 1955.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Chapter, AIA
- Scranton Historical Society
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.