Biography

ARCHITECTS
Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects printer-friendly version  
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS

Products of an association with John Dull, Francis G. Caldwell and Edward P. Simon establish an office at 1229 Walnut Street in 1900. Their partnership is short-lived, however; and by October, 1904 Caldwell has announced that he will be withdrawing from the firm. He is shortly replaced by David B. Bassett and the firm name of Simon & Bassett.

Caldwell & Simon mix the usual residential commissions with Simon's specialty, commercial and industrial building. They also designed clubhouses (a building type which Simon would continue in his new firm): the United Republican Club at 3158 Frankford Avenue of 1904 and the Elks Club at 1320-1322 Arch Street, also of 1904, which they gained as a result of a competition in which they bested Watson & Huckel; Stearns & Castor; and Clarence Schermerhorn.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.