David H. Morgan was born in Aberdare, Wales, and received his architectural education at the Royal Institute of British Architects in London, graduation in 1907. After emigrating to the United States in that year, he worked first for Cope & Stewardson (1907-1910), but then moved to Detroit, where he was employed by Albert Kahn (1910-1911) and Donaldson & Meier (1911-1913). Returning to Pennsylvania in 1913, he became associate partner of Edward H. Davis in Scranton. By 1916 he had organized his own firm, but in 1928 he began an association with Searle H. von Storch (Morgan & Von Storch, 1928-1931, with offices in Philadelphia at 1020 South Broad Street, and also in New York and Scranton). By 1931 this somewhat loose partnership had dissolved, and Morgan was again working independently. In 1941 he once again entered into a loosely defined association, this time under the name Morgan, Lichty & Stopper, which appears to have been established to gain the commission for the Penn Home project in Chester, PA. By around 1942/43 this association had also been dissolved, and Morgan was again on his own.
Morgan developed a specialty in planning, serving on the Philadelphia City Planning Commission as assistant director (1934-1936). He also was active in the Pennsylvania Board of Examiners for the architects' registration exam (1927-1940) and the Philadelphia Civil Service Commission, also for the architectural examination (1952-1955). He was also charter president for the Northeast Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (1922-1924), later serving as second vice-president (1953-1954), first vice-president (1954-1955), and president (1955-1956).
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Northeast Chapter (AIA)
- Royal Institute of British Architects
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.