Shander Berger was born in Hungary and received his education at the Philadelphia Polytechnic Institute and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. He supplemented this academic training by attending the T- Square Club atelier. He first appears in the Philadelphia city directories as a draftsman in 1924 and continues with that designation through 1929. From 1930 to 1936 he is noted as an architect with an office at 260 South 15th Street, the same address given for David Supowitz, the noted theatre architect. However, only a short formal affiliation between the two has been determined.
Berger was still working as an architect in 1966, when he exhibited in the Annual Exhibition of the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA. Berger joined the AIA in 1949 and was registered to practice in Pennylvania.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Philadelphia Polytechnic Institute
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.