W. Edward Frank was born in Philadelphia, the son of Lulu Freda Breisch and architect William Ott Frank, and graduated from Simon Gratz High School. He completed a B. Arch. at the University of Pennsylvania in 1936 and entered the office of William H. Lee as a design delineator after graduation, remaining there for approximately a year. He then joined Horace Trumbauer's office in 1937, where his father was also employed. After Trumbauer's death in 1938, the elder Frank continued the work of the office with Julian Abele. The name of the practice was changed to "The Office of Horace Trumbauer, William O. Frank, W. Edward Frank" in 1950 after Abele's death and the younger Frank was made a named partner. Edward Frank retired in 1977.
Frank served in the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II. He joined the national AIA in 1942, and was first a member of the Philadelphia Chapter, and later of the Bucks County Chapter. He was a trustee Abington Township's Adult School for six years and was a member of the Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, the Old York Road Historical Society and the Jenkintown Lyceum.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Bucks County Chapter, AIA
- Pennsylvania Genealogical Society
- Old York Road Historical Society
- Jenkintown Lyceum
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.