Born in Bloomington, IL, to Frank and Addie Boulware, Lyle Boulware attended University High School in Normal, IL, before enrolling at the Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington and Pratt Institute in New York, where he graduated in 1926 with a Bachelor of Architecture degree. While in New York, Boulware was also associated with the Lloyd Morgan atelier. By fall, 1926 Boulware had joined the faculty at Pratt Institute, becoming chair of the Department of Architecture, 1937 and 1938, and remaining on the faculty until 1943. After operating an independent office in New York from 1930 to 1946, Boulware became designer and then partner for Edward P. Simon in Philadelphia. Simon & Boulware operated from 1946 to 1951. Thereafter Boulware was in independent practice with successive firms: Lyle F. Boulware, 1951-1960; Boulware & Brown, 1960-1961; Lyle F. Boulware, Assocs., 1961-?.
Active in the Brooklyn Chapter of the AIA while in New York, Boulware transferred his allegiance to the Philadelphia Chapter after his move. In addition, he was instrumental in the renaissance of the T-Square Club of Philadelphia, becoming president in 1959. He also maintained membership in the Philadelphia Sketch Club.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- T-Square Club
- Brooklyn Chapter (AIA)
- Illinois Wesleyan University
- Pratt Institute
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.