Abraham Colladay was a master builder elected to The Carpenters' Company in 1792. Colladay's only known commission is the steeple added to the Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity, Lancaster, PA, in 1794. On May 22, 1795, the Columbianum or American Academy of Painting, Sculpture, Architecture, &c opened an exhibition which included several architectural drawings by Robert Smith, William Williams, and John Sproul. Under the heading of Abraham Collady (sic.) "Architect, Mulberry Street, No. 138" appears "the draft of the wood-work of a Steeple built at Lancaster, and sundry other drawings of buildings." Colladay, whose Philadelphia directory listings run from the 1790s through 1811, always listed himself as a house carpenter at 138 Mulberry Street. It is nonetheless interesting that his drawings should have been included in the earliest known American exhibition of architectural drawings.
Roger W. Moss.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.