Born in Grand Island, NE, Ferdinand F. Schumann attended the engineering program at the University of Nebraska for two years before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania, where he received his Bachelors in Architecture in 1929. Additional training came from his attendance in the T-Square Club Atelier. In 1922, even before graduation, Schumann entered the office of Carl Ziegler. From 1924 to 1925 he worked as a draftsman for Clyde N. Friz in Baltimore, MD, but upon his return to Philadelphia Schumann entered into what would become a long association with George Wharton Pepper, first with Tilden & Register (1926-1936), then Tilden & Pepper (1936-1938), and finally with George Wharton Pepper Assocs. (1938-1941). In 1941 Schumann transferred to the office of William H. Lee, but he returned to Pepper in 1945 to 1949.
According to the obituary published in the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin Schumann worked with Muhlenberg Brothers after severing his connection to Pepper.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Nebraska
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.