Herbert H. Swinburne was born in Los Angeles, CA, and was educated at the University of Pennsylvania, where he earned a B. Arch. in 1934. While at Penn, he held the Joseph Van Horn Scholarship. He worked in the office of the Nevada State architect between 1935 and 1941 and in the offices of Tuttle, Seelye, Place and Raymond between 1942-44 in addition to service in the U.S. Naval Reserve during World War II. Swinburne returned to Philadelphia after the war and formed a partnership with James A. Nolen Jr. either in 1949 or 1953 (sources differ on this date) which continued until 1974.
Swinburne joined the national AIA in 1947 and was named a fellow in 1961. He chaired the AIA's committee on research for architecture in 1960. Swinburne served with a number of government organizations in the 1960s: he served on an advisory panel for the building research division of the National Bureau of Standards from 1964 on, on the advisory committee on construction for the Governor of Pennsylvania's Commission on Education between 1965 and 1967, on the National Design Review panel for the U.S. Navy in 1966-1967, and on the national advisory committee for the General Service Administration between 1967 and 1969. In 1976, he was named as a founding member of the board of directors of the National Institute of Building Sciences. Before this appointment, he had chaired the Building Research Advisory Board for the National Academy of Design. He was an occasional guest lecturer at Princeton University and Cornell University.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Pittsburgh Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- Cornell University
- Princeton University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.