Charles Duhring Friday was born in Philadelphia, the son of Ella Swift Duhring and medical doctor Cyrus Ward Fridy. Charles and his older brother and future business partner John D. Fridy studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania at the same time, earning a B. Arch. in 1932 and an M. Arch. in 1933. Both Charles and John Fridy then entered the office of their relative H. Louis Duhring, with Charles working as a draftsman and John working as a draftsman and designer. The brothers remained with Duhring until 1935, when they joined the engineering firm of Remington & Goff, where they worked as draftsmen and designers. They then worked for William A. Goff, Inc., from the point he left that partnership in 1937 until 1946. In 1947, they formed their own partnership Fridy & Fridy, which became Fridy, Gauker, Truscott & Fridy, Inc., architects and engineers, in 1948. This firm was succeeded by Fridy, Gauker & Fridy in 1958 and then acquired by Betz, Converse Murdoch, Inc. Fridy retired in 1980.
Charles Fridy joined the national AIA in 1936; he was a member of Philadelphia Chapter and of the National Society of Professional Engineers. He contributed technical articles to the periodical Consulting Engineer and designed lighting for Main Line Playhouse productions.
Emily T. Cooperman, and
Rima M. Girnius.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Lower Merion Historical Society
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.