Biography

ARCHITECTS
Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects printer-friendly version  
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS

Formally established when F. Ferdinand Durang became his father's partner in November 1909, according to F. F. Durang's entry in Who's Who in Philadelphia, this office, again according to F. F. Durang, ceased upon his father's death in 1911. However, entries for the firm in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide continued beyond 1911; and there is evidence that F. F. Durang continued to use the entire firm title until 1920. During the years when father and son worked together, St. Veronica Church at 533 West Tioga Street in Philadelphia was dedicated (1909), Holy Child Church, 5200-5228 North Broad Street (1910) was constructed, and the Transfiguration of Our Lord Church school and convent at 55th Street and Cedar Avenue in Philadelphia was also designed (1911). After E. F. Durang's death, Catholic projects continued to stream in to the office. Among the projects cited for E. F. Durang & Son in 1919, just before the title seems to have passed from use are: St. Carl's Church, Collegeville, PA, St. Stephens Church school, Perth Amboy, NJ, and St. Veronica's Church convent, 6th and Tioga streets, Philadelphia. (Parish histories establish many of these attributions.)

In style the office chiefly continued E. F. Durang's fondness for the Gothic Revival, without any of the archaeological tendencies of the previous century.

In 1909 the office can also be found in New York City directories, with an address at 30 Church Street.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2024 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2024 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.