Isaac Coats, Jr., was a master builder elected to The Carpenters' Company by 1768 although no Company records prior to the 1760s survive to provide a specific date. He was an "encourager" of the Philadelphia edition of Abraham Swan's The British Architect (R. Bell for J. Norman, 1775), the first book on architecture published in America. In April, 1776, the Committee of Salfety commissioned Coats to erect a powder magazine capable of holding 1000 barrels of powder on the northeast corner of Franklin Square. Although one of the largest contributors toward the construction of Carpenters Hall in 1770, he resigned from The Company in 1783.
Roger W. Moss.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.