Reading, PA, architect Calvin J. Young was born in that city to Daniel B. and Rosa E. Young. He studied architecture through the International Correspondence School located in Scranton, PA, and with a private tutor. He worked with Stetler & Mengel, architects in Wyomissing, PA from approximately 1904 to 1907 and then established his own firm in 1907 in Reading, working as a local supervising architect for the New York firm of S. Liebovitz & Sons for 25 years. In August 1964 Philadelphia Chapter, AIA, records indicate that he moved to Bayside, NY, but he had returned to Reading by November of that year. As he neared retirement, Young joined the office of Sanders & Thomas, in Pottstown, PA.
He joined the AIA in 1921, and was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter as well as the Pennsylvania Society of Architects. Young became a Member Emeritus in 1964.
Emily T. Cooperman, and
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- International Correspondence Schools
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.