The first note indicating a partnership between brothers Seymour and Paul A. Davis, III, appears in the Philadelphia city directories in 1911, but by 1901 citations have already been published in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide for this arrangement. It appears that the partners separated around 1914/15, with Paul A. Davis essentially inheriting the business. Although Seymour Davis continues in the city directories through 1923, he is listed without an office.
One difficulty in establishing the partnership name as the architect of record for projects is that the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide often continues to attribute projects to one or the other of them or cites the projects as the work of "Seymour Davis and Paul A. Davis," rather than the partnership name. Therefore, projects in this database often appear under all three available names.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.