Clyde Smith Adams was born in Hammonton, NJ to Joseph R. and Lida A. (Wescott) Adams, and he attended the Philadelphia public schools. In 1890 he began work with the Wilson Bros., where he remained until 1903, rising from the position of office boy to chief draftsman. During this time he attended night classes at Drexel Institute and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. From 1903 until his death, Adams maintained a private practice as both architect and engineer. He added to his knowledge of architecture by visiting both Rome and Paris in 1910 and by embarking on a world cruise in 1924.
Adams's practice concentrated on school projects, but included a number of hotels and churches as well.
Adams was a member of the national AIA but appears to have dropped his membership in 1938.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Pen and Pencil
- Old Colony Club
- Tall Cedars of Lebanon
- Elks Lodge #932 of Camden NJ
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Drexel Institute
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.