Henry G. Woodman was born in Youngstown, OH, the son of George B. and Helen Elizabeth Gillette Woodman. He received his Certificate of Proficiency in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1895 and worked as a draftsman, according to the Philadelphia city directories, from 1897 to 1898. In approximately 1900 he and James Russell Harris joined Frank E. Newman in the firm of Newman, Woodman & Harris. Woodman's died in 1902 from typhoid fever, and the partnership continued as Newman & Harris.
Newman joined the T-Square Club in 1895 and served as the vice-president of the Architectural Alumni Society of the University of Pennsylvania. In 1916 a traveling scholarship allowing one year's stay in Europe was established in his honor at the University of Pennsylvania.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.