The master builder George Wood was a resident of the North Ward of Philadelphia in 1769 (he lived near Isaac Zane, Sr.) and of the Northern Liberties in 1774. There is confusion concerning his election to The Carpenters' Company that suggests two men of the same name, although The Company only claims one and after the Revolution only one George Wood appears in the Philadelphia city directories. A George Wood first appears as present at a meeting of The Carpenters' Company on April 27, 1767. On April 19, 1770, however, George Wood of the Northern Liberties was proposed for membership and elected. From the 1770s on George Wood was a member of committees or an officer. In his will--written 1816, proved 1818--he bequeathed $100.00 "for bilding a church in the District of Southwark in the County of Philadelphia. . . ."
Roger W. Moss.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.