When John C. Worthington applied for national American Institute of Architects (AIA) membership in 1892, he noted his office address at 1305 Arch Street and that he had been practicing architecture for approximately eight years. His application was endorsed by both George C. Mason and Amos J. Boyden, but action on the application was postponed at the suggestion of James H. Windrim. Worthington had appeared in the Philadelphia city directories in 1887, and in that year his monograph Architectural Pen Points, chiefly an illustration of his work on the Methodist Episcopal Union Church at Diamond and Lambert Streets in Philadelphia, was reviewed by the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide (PRERBG). During the 1880s, Worthington was employed by the builder/developers Wendell & Smith on a number of residences in Wayne, PA. In 1888 the PRERBG noted that Worthington and Edward J. Paxson, "the real estate dealers," had established an office at 1305 Arch Street, and this association was reiterated on 19 February 1890, when the PRERBG reported that they were associated at 1305 Arch Street and "prepared to pursue their profession in its various branches."
Worthington joined the T-Square Club in 1891. In 1892 he was elected to the Philadelphia Chapter, AIA, Executive Committee, later serving on its editorial board for the short-lived Journal of Architecture.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.