The name Isaiah B. Young crops up in several citations found for mid to third quarter 19th century buildings. In Massachusetts in the 1840s he is cited as the partner of Isaiah Melvin of Lexington, constructing the Lexington Town Hall (1846) and the First Church, Lexington (1847). In The History of North Bridgewater, Plymouth County, Massachusetts master builder Isaiah B. Young, of Boston, is cited as the builder of the Second Methodist Episcopal Church in 1853. Isaiah B. Young then appears as an architect in New York city directories in 1857. He next resurfaces in Philadelphia in 1875 as one of many in the firm of <5>Addison B. Hutton5>. By 1876 he has become a partner in the office of Sloan, Balderston & Young, with offices at 152 South 4th Street.
It also appears that an Isaiah B. Young was later active in Cincinnati, OH, assuming that this is the same Isaiah B. Young earlier found in Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. He is listed in Cincinnati directories from 1869 to 1871 and from 1881 to 1884. Partnerships listed for Isaiah B. Young in Cincinnati include Young & Company, 1889 and Young & Channing, 1870. Either he or his partnerships provided plans for the Walnut Hills Methodist (Episcopal) Church, SEC E. McMillan St. and Ashland Ave., East Walnut Hills (1870-1872). [Information on Young in Cincinnati comes from the Biographical Dictionary of Cincinnati Architects, 1788-1940, an online resource found at http://www.architecturecincy.org/dictionary/Y.html]
Sandra L. Tatman.
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.