Samuel C. Bond was born in DuBois, PA, and studied at the St. Petersburg Junior College in St. Petersburg, FL before earning a B. Arch. in 1934 at the Carnegie Institute of Technology. While still in school, he worked as a designer for Russel Howard from 1930 to 1932. He then worked in the office of August Wendell Forge (1934-1935), followed by a stint as a designer for Tilghman Moyer Co. (1936-1938) in Allentown, PA. In 1938, he founded the firm of Heyl-Bond-Miller, with John K. Heyl and William D. Miller. The partnership continued until 1960, when Heyl withdrew to open his own office, also in Allentown. Bond & Miller endured until 1969, when it became Bond & Miller Associates. Curtin died in Ephrata, PA.
Curtin joined the national AIA in 1942, and was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter until the creation of the Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter. He was a member of the General Council of Evangelical and Reform Churches of the United States in the 1950s. He served on the board of Ursinus College, and of the Phoebe Home for the Aged. Curtin also served on the Lehigh County Community Council, chairing that body's Mental Health Commission.
Emily T. Cooperman, and
Rima M. Girnius.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter, AIA
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Carnegie Institute of Technology
- St. Petersburg Junior College
- Ursinus College
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.