[Design for Mantel - French 16th Century]
Local ID #: 190506/080
Frank L. Bodine was born in Bridgeton, NJ, the son of J. Nixon and Annie Alexander Millikan Bodine. After an early education in New Jersey, he enrolled at the Hill School in Pottstown, PA, as a member of the class of 1896; he left before graduation in order to enter the University of Pennsylvania, from which he received his B.S. in Architecture in 1899. He followed his university career with additional classes in architectural design at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (1902/03; 1904-07). For many years following his graduation, Bodine's career is sketchy, and it appears that he served as a draftsman for several firms in Philadelphia.
He appears in the Philadelphia city directories in 1901 as a draftsman, from 1903-1911 as an architect, returns to draftsman in 1914 and architect in 1924. His list of affiliations with firms for that time period is equally ambiguous, but in 1917 he shared an address with Clarence Gardner, who was then engaged in alterations to the Musical Fund Society at 8th and Locust streets in Philadelphia. Around 1919/20 Bodine was employed by Rankin & Kellogg, and from approximately 1923 to 1929 he was with Paul P. Cret. (Perhaps encouraged by Cret, Bodine traveled to Paris in 1925.) By 1936 Bodine had retired to Wayne, PA.
Bodine was a member of the T-Square Club and won their prize membership for 1897 while he was a student at the University of Pennsylvania.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- University of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.