G. Harold Haag was born in Philadelphia, the son of John Samuel Haag, a builder, and Anna E. McCambridge. He spent most of his childhood in Horsham, PA and attended nearby Abington High School, graduating in 1929. Haag trained at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was a member of the Theta Xi fraternity and earned a B.Arch. in 1934. He began his career as a draftsman in the office of Berninger & Bower, where he continued until that partnership ceased at the eve of World War II. During the war, Haag served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific. Haag became a member of the national AIA in 1945, and joined Dominique Berninger and Paul d'Entremont, shortly after they had formed an association in 1946. The firm became Haag & d'Entremont in 1949 after Berninger's death, and continued until 1970, when the partners each established an independent practice.
Haag was a founding member of the Bucks County Chapter of the AIA, and served as its president in 1961-2. He also served on the borough council and on the planning commission in Ivyland, PA, where he made his home for many years. Haag was active in the leadership of the Pennsylvania Society of Architects, serving as a director, treasurer, vice president and finally president between 1961 and 1964. He also led several national AIA committees, chairing the fund raising committee for the Octagon, among other involvements. He was also secretary of the national in 1967, the year after he was made a fellow.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Bucks County Chapter AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.