Biography

ARCHITECT
Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects Images printer-friendly version  
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS
 

[A Night Lodging House]
[Beaux Arts Society]
Front Elevation
AIA/T-Square Yearbook, p. 96-97 (1904)
> View more images [2 total]

Born: 7/14/1880, Died: 4/8/1957

Born in the Roxborough neighborhood of Philadelphia to Eugene and Caroline (Adams) Yardley, Ernest H. Yardley served the Philadelphia Chapter, AIA, for 15 years as chair of the Committee on Biography and History and was associated with the restoration of Congress Hall for the Philadlephia Chapter Committee on Preservation of Historical Monuments. He graduated from Central Manual Training School and attended the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art. Rounding off his architectural training, he enrolled at the T-Square Club atelier, where he worked with Paul P. Cret, Paul A. Davis, and C. Clark Zantzinger for some three years. He also embarked on a long series of work assignments with several of the best-known firms in Philadelphia: Furness, Evans & Co.; Frank Miles Day; Wilson Eyre (1902/03); Charles A. Platt; Zantzinger, Borie & Medary; Kelsey & Cret, and Paul P. Cret.

In May, 1917 he established his own firm but continued to work for others; he is listed among the names on the Rankin & Kellogg payroll books preserved at The Athenaeum of Philadelphia. Here he appears to work on six different projects for Rankin & Kellogg, beginning in 1918 and sporadically stopping and reappearing through April, 1930. For Rankin & Kellogg and Rankin, Kellogg & Crane he assisted on designs for the Chalfonte Hotel (1922), the Philadelphia Inquirer Building (Elverson Building)(1922), the Provident Trust Co. (1924), the Hunnicker House (1924), the Montgomery County Courthouse (1926), and the Philadelphia Wholesale Drug Co. (1926). In the 1924 "Who's Who in Architecture" published as part of the American Art Annual, he lists himself as part of the firm of Bissell & Sinkler.

Shortly before his death he reported to the AIA's American Architects Directory that he was a member of the firm of Yardley, Mills & Meyung, with offices at 112 South 16th Street, Philadelphia.

Yardley joined the AIA in 1920.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

Clubs and Membership Organizations

  • Historical Society of Pennsylvania (HSP)
  • Pennsylvania Society of Architects
  • American Institute of Architects (AIA)
  • Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
  • Philadelphia Sketch Club
  • T-Square Club
  • Germantown Historical Society
  • Church Architectural Guild of America

School Affiliations

  • Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
  • Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.