Sherman G. Coates was born in Berwyn, PA, the son of J. H. Coates, and attended the Haverford School before studying architecture in the class of 1911 at the University of Pennsylvania, although he was not awarded his degree until 1934. At least through 1917 he was employed by the Philadelphia Brass Co., with offices based in Downingtown, PA; and for the years 1919 to 1920 he was with Rankin & Kellogg. His first appearance in the Philadelphia city directories as an architect is in 1929, when he maintains an office at 1420 Chestnut Street, the same office address as Lewis Easby, although no formal relationship between the two has been discovered. In 1930 Coates moved his office to the Architects Building and by 1935 the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide is noting an office in Berwyn.
Coates was a member of the T-Square Club, the Engineers Club, and the Merion Cricket Club. As an undergraduate at the Universitiy he had also been a member of Sigma Phi Sigma fraternity and had received the Delano Prize in 1907.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Engineers Club
- Merion Cricket Club
- T-Square Club
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.