Max Bernhardt, son of Samuel Bernhardt, attended Southern High School in Philadelphia before he studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania. He receiving his B.S. in Architecture in 1917 and his M.S. in 1918. His design and rendering abilities won several prizes: the Arthur Spayd Brooke Prize; the Faculty Prize; and awards from the Municipal Art Society of New York. In the 1918 Philadelphia city directory he lists himself as a draftsman, but follows that with 1920 to 1921 as a clerk. By 1923, however, he shares an office with Edwin H. Bertolett and will remain with Bertolett through 1930 although their names are never formally associated as a partnership. During the 1930s Bernhardt served as architect for the Department of Banking of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Bernhardt further served as an instructor at the Weidener Memorial School and at the Graphic Sketch Club.
Emily T. Cooperman, and
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Graphic Sketch Club
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.