Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects printer-friendly version  

William B. Brinkworth came from a family of contractors and carpenters. His first appearance in the Philadelphia city directories is in 1886, when he is noted as a student residing at 2150 East Dauphin Street, the same address as that given for George H. Brinkworth, contractor. William B. Brinkworth attended the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art from 1886 to 1888; but by 1887, he is already listed in the city directories as an architect. No office address is given for Brinkworth before 1891, but in that year, he appears to be working for Geissinger & Hales, the originators of what would later become the Ballinger Co. In 1894 Walter Geissinger retires, and by 1895 Brinkworth's status has changed. He and another draftsman from the firm, Walter F. Ballinger, have been accepted by Hales as partners of some sort because in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide for that year the firm Hales, Brinkworth & Ballinger offers projects for several months before it is supplanted by Hales & Ballinger, both firms operating from the same address.

In 1896 there is no listing for Brinkworth in the city directories, but in 1897 he returns, still as an architect, but with no office address. At that time, too, he has returned to the family home at 2150 E. Dauphin St., wherein still reside George H. Brinkworth, engineer, and George H., Jr., carpenter. Brinkworth continues at this address until his disappearance from the city directories in 1910. Throughout his remaining listings, he alternates between architect and draftsman.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

School Affiliations

  • Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art


Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2024 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2024 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.