Charles M. Talley was born in Philadelphia, the son of Charles M. V. and Mary (Tomlin) Talley. He attended the Philadelphia Trade School and received his Certificate of Proficiency in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1916. He served then a long internship period with such firms as Savery, Scheetz & Savery, Horace Trumbauer, Folsom & Stanton, and Heacock & Hokanson. While primarily engaged with these major firms, Talley also did outside work, often with other employees of the larger firms, such as John W. Platt of Heacock & Hokanson, with whom he collaborated during the 1920s; but also with architects like G. Harold Murphy in Murphy & Talley. In 1926 he also associated with Charles W. Gilmore in Gilmore & Talley. In the late 1920s Talley moved to Telford, PA, where he would work and live for the rest of his life, designing more than 400 churches and specializing in a colonial revival style. By 1946 Talley had been joined by his daughter Berneice E. Jones, one of the first women to graduate from the University of Pennsylvania's program in architecture.
Talley joined the AIA in 1944 and was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia Trade School
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.