Arthur H. Brockie was born and educated in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, where much of the work of his mature practice would also be located. His parents were William and Anna P. Brockie. He attended Germantown Academy before entering the University of Pennsylvania in 1891, graduating with his B.S. in Architecture in 1895. Early recognition of his accomplishments in the area of design and rendering came through a prize membership to the T-Square Club awarded in 1893. Immediately following graduation, Brockie found a position as draftsman with one of Philadelphia's most prestigious firms, Cope & Stewardson, where he remained until he enlisted in Battery A of the Philadelphia Volunteers in the Spanish-American War. He participated in the Puerto Rican Campaign from April through November, 1898, then returned to Cope & Stewardson after mustering out of the service.
In 1899 Brockie was the recipient of the John Stewardson Memorial Scholarship for his design for "A School of Architecture with a Museum of Architectural Casts." This scholarship enabled him to travel to Europe where he studied for four months at the American Academy in Rome and traveled through Great Britain and Europe sketching. Upon his return to Philadelphia, Brockie set up his own firm and in 1903 was joined by T. Mitchell Hastings, a Harvard University graduate who had gone through a Paris atelier and then received his office training with T. P. Chandler. The firm of Brockie & Hastings was dissolved in early 1919 after Mitchell returned from service in World War I. At that point, Hastings relocated to California; Brockie remained in his own office in Philadelphia.
While Brockie & Hastings maintained a general practice typical of many firms in the early twentieth century, Brockie's particular specialty was hospital design. As early as 1903, he was engaged in the design of hospital facilities, and this proved to be a continuing thread in the type of project at which he excelled. Residential commissions for some of the old families of Philadelphia, as well as a liberal sprinkling of bank building designs, formed the rest of the practice of both Arthur H. Brockie and Brockie & Hastings.
Brockie held memberships in the T-Square Club, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and the AlA (where he served as president in 1936 and was made fellow in 1931). He also served the Philadelphia Chapter of the AlA in the capacity of second vice-president from 1913-14.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- University of Pennsylvania
- American Academy in Rome
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.