George E. Edkins was born in Philadelphia, the son of William B. and Sarah A. Edkins. His architectural education was achieved through apprenticeship, and he was, therefore, associated with a number of architects, including Joseph Huston, beleaguered architect of the Pennsylvania State Capital. From 1908 to 1922 he settled with Watson & Huckel and in 1922 became a formal associate of Frank Watson, along with William Heyl Thompson. By 1926 the juniors, Edkins and Thompson, had become full partners in the firm of Watson, Edkins & Thompson. This association continued until the 1930s, when Edkins who had long resided in Oaklyn, NJ, opened an independent practice in that town.
Edkins joined the AIA in 1927 and became emeritus in 1956. He was active in the Oaklyn community and served as councilman for the town.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.