The office of Boyd & Boyd represents the partnership of brothers D. K. Boyd and L. V. Boyd. By 1893 projects for the brothers are cited in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide; and although the partnership had mostly dissolved by 1898, projects continue in the PRERBG into 1903. The Boyd & Boyd activity is chiefly concerned with residential operations for developers Wendell & Smith in Radnor, Overbrook, Pelham, and Wayne, PA. As part of the stable of young architects serving Wendell & Smith, houses designed by the Boyds were published in the Scientific American Builders Edition and tended toward the "inexpensive residence" type, but ocasionally during this early part of the Boyds' career other building types would be introduced (as in the design of the Central Baptist Church in Wayne, 1897, which receives a full description in the PRERBG, v. 12, no. 15, 14 April 1897, p.225).
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.