William S. Andrews appears as an architect in Philadelphia city directories as early as 1855 and through 1860. The greater part of his professional career was spent, however, as an assistant to John McArthur, Jr., architect of the Philadelphia City Hall and Pardee Hall at Lafayette College. This association continued through 1876, with Andrews's last collaborative effort with McArthur being the U.S. Post Office at 9th and Chestnut streets in Philadelphia, designed by Alfred B. Mullet (1834-1890) while McArthur was Superintendent of Public Buildings for the Treasury Department in Philadelphia. In Philadelphia city directories for 1878 to 1889 Andrews is listed with only a home address; it is, therefore, unknown if his association with McArthur continued.
Andrews was one of 19 signers of the application for the charter for the Pennsylvania Institute of Architects in 1861 and was elected an associate member of the AIA in 1870. In 1870 he was also among the first candidates recommended for the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA.
Roger W. Moss.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Pennsylvania Institute of Architects
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.