Arthur T. Smith was born in Philadelphia and received his architectural education at the University of Pennsylvania, gaining his B.S. in Architecture in 1906 and carrying off the Arthur Spayd Medal and the T-Square Club membership prize for that year. From 1906 to 1912 he worked as a draftsman for E. V. Seeler and then became a silent partner with F. Ferdinand Durang from 1912 to 1918 before joining the firm with which he would associate for the rest of his career, Zantzinger, Borie & Medary. (With Durang he designed Palethorpe Memorial Presbyterian Church, according to a set of 1916 plans preserved in the Presbyterian Historical Society collections in Philadelphia.) Weathering the death of Medary in 1929, Smith remained with Zantzinger & Borie and became a partner in that firm in 1937. When Charles Louis Borie, III became partner-in-charge in 1951, the firm name changed to Borie & Smith.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.