When John Molitor joined Thomas & Churchman around 1907, the office name changed to Thomas, Churchman & Molitor. This firm lasted in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide through 1914, whereupon Thomas completed a few projects on his own before moving on to Thomas, Martin & Kirkpatrick, possibly taking John Molitor with him since Molitor's office address changes to that of the new firm.
Like many young firms, Thomas, Churchman & Molitor worked for the developers Wendell & Smith, designing residences for one of their numerous speculative enterprises. However, Thomas's predilection for church design can already be seen in All Souls Protestant Episcopal Church, 16th Street and Allegheny Avenue (1912), and the office's adept handling of colonial revival designs receives recognition from C. Matlack Price and in such serial publications as American Country Houses of Today (1912), where the Marshall S. Morgan residence in Wyndmoor is illustrated.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.