Philadelphia native Frank Seeburger was the son of German immigrants parents. The original spelling of the family name was Sieburger. His father, also named Frank, was a cabinetmaker who first appears in Philadelphia directories around 1870. He is listed at 717 Morris Street, the address used by his son, the future partner in the successful office of Seeburger & Rabenold, when he attended the Franklin Institute Drawing School in the Winter of 1887 (where he was a member of an architectural drawing class with Robert Marple, John Molitor, and the unknown Antoinette Luttgen). In the term 1888/89 Seeburger attended the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art. He also worked for many years for Horace Trumbauer, in whose office he encountered his future partner Charles Rabenold. However, even before initiating the partnership with Rabenold, Seeburger had appeared in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide with independent projects, chiefly for residences in the suburbs of Philadelphia, including Cynwyd, Merion (for the Highland Improvement Company), and Latham Park (three residences for the Elkins Estate, 1912). U. S. Census data indicates that he had moved to Lower Merion by 1910.
After 1934, when the Seeburger & Rabenold office dissolved, Seeburger disappears. The U.S. Census indicates that he had probably retired by 1940, when he was widowed and living in the household of his daughter and son-in-law.
Seeburger joined the T-Square Club in 1896, but no record of his membership in the American Institute of Architects has been found.
Sandra L. Tatman, and
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
- Franklin Institute Drawing School
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.