Edward Madison Hales
Local ID #: HALES-EH
King, Moses. Philadelphia and Notable Philadelphians. New York: Blanchard Press, Isaac H. Blanchard Co., 1901.,
Edward M. Hales is first listed in the Philadelphia city directories in 1880, when his occupation is noted as draftsman. by 1885 he has developed to "architect", and by 1887 the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide cites the first commissions for his partnership Geissinger & Hales, with partner Walter H. Geissinger. From 1892 to 1895 Hales disappears from the city directories but reappears in 1896 as a partner in the office of Hales & Ballinger with Walter F. Ballinger. According to Ballinger Co. records, Geissinger had retired in 1894, leaving the younger Ballinger to move into a successor partnership. In the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide, however, Hales & Ballinger and a second firm, Hales, Brinkworth & Ballinger, offer projects, both operating from the same office. (Hales, Brinkworth & Ballinger appear from March, 1895 to June, 1895; and Hales & Ballinger appear from June, 1895 onward.)
In July, 1901, Hales announced his retirement and was replaced in the firm by Emile G. Perrot who revised the office name to Ballinger & Perrot. Hales himself continued to be listed in the Philadelphia city directories as an architect through 1906. Following 1906, his listing omits the designation of architect, but he remains in the directories with a Germantown residential address through 1923.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.