Biography

ARCHITECT
Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects printer-friendly version  
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS

Born: 3/5/1867, Died: 8/3/1948

John McArthur Harris, nephew of architect John McArthur, Jr. and son of Stephen and Catherine McArthur Harris, was born in Pottsville, PA, attended Germantown Academy, and received his B.A. (1887) and M.A. (1890) from the University of Pennsylvania, also attending drawing classes at the Franklin Institute from 1888 to 1889. He worked for architect George Peterson from 1887 to 1889 and was employed by Wilson Bros. & Co. in 1889. Following the death of principal Joseph Wilson, that firm continued under the aegis of younger brother and engineer, Henry W. Wilson, along with Harris and Howard S. Richards, using the name Wilson, Harris & Richards. When Wilson withdrew from the firm in 1910, Harris & Richards continued, only dissolving when Richards retired in 1935. Harris did not retire himself until 1937.

Harris joined the T-Square Club in 1889 and the AlA in 1899. In addition he held memberships in the St. Andrew's Society, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, the Philadelphia Committee of 100, and the Presbyterian Social Union.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

Clubs and Membership Organizations

  • Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
  • American Institute of Architects (AIA)
  • T-Square Club
  • St. Andrew's Society
  • Philadelphia Committee of 100
  • Presbyterian Social Union

School Affiliations

  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Franklin Institute

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2024 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2024 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.