[Group photo of Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson]
Harbeson, Hough, Livingston, Larson
John Harbeson Collection, Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Local ID #: 47-P-055-001
> View more images [2 total]
William J. H. Hough was born in Ambler, PA, the son of Dr. Charles B. and Dr. Mary Paul Hallowell Hough. He studed at the George School before entering the University of Pennsylvania and receiving his B.S. in Architecture in 1911, followed by his M.S. in 1913. In 1911 he won the Stewardson Traveling Scholarship for his design for "A Maritime Station." He worked during 1908/09 for Cope & Stewardson, in 1912 for Frank Miles Day, and from 1913-1914 for John T. Windrim. In 1914 he won the Rome Prize for his "Monument to a Deceased Ruler", which allowed him to study in Rome at the American Academy from 1914 to 1917. Upon his return to Philadelphia in 1919, he entered the firm of Zantzinger, Borie & Medary, but later he became part of the Paul P. Cret office, rising to the position of partner in 1923. In 1945, after Cret's death, he and the other partners, John F. Harbeson, Roy Larson, and William H. Livingston succeeded Cret with their own firm named Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson, which later became H2L2.
Hough became a member of the AIA in 1920 and received fellowship status in 1938 followed by emeritus status in 1963. He was also active in both the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA and in the T-Square Club. He worked with the American Red Cross in Italy in 1917 and, in recognition of his service, received the Bronze Medal of merit from the Italian Red Cross in 1919. In addition, Hough served as chair for the Department of Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania and served on the Ambler Borough Council and as a school director for Ambler.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
- University of Pennsylvania
- American Academy in Rome
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.